Packing boxes is an essential part of any move. And packing boxes properly while moving is crucial for several reasons. My Moving Cost Team prepared this helpful article about packing up boxes while moving for you.
Packing boxes is highly important, because:
1. Protection of belongings: Properly packed boxes will protect your belongings from damage during transportation. Boxes provide a safe and secure way to transport your items especially fragile items like glassware and electronics.
2. Efficient use of space: Packing boxes well can help you maximize the use of space during transportation. By organizing items into boxes, you can stack and fit them together in the moving truck which can save space and prevent damage to your belongings.
3. Easier unpacking: When you pack your belongings into boxes, you can label them according to the contents and the room they belong in. This makes it easier to unpack and organize your items in your new home.
4. Safety: Properly packed boxes are less likely to cause injury during transportation. Boxes that are too heavy or not packed properly can lead to accidents and injuries during the move.
5. Time-saving: Packing your belongings into boxes can help you save time during the moving process. By organizing and labeling your boxes, you can easily identify and locate the items you need which can save time during unpacking.
In summary, packing boxes properly is important for protecting your belongings, efficient use of space, easier unpacking, safety, and time-saving during the moving process.
Read more: FAQ- Frequently Asked Moving Questions
What to Pack in What Size Of Box When Moving
1) Small Boxes (16″ x 12″x 12″): These boxes are good for heavy items such as books, DVDs, CDs, or canned food. Avoid over-packing these boxes to prevent them from becoming too heavy to carry.
- Books: Small boxes are ideal for packing books as they are heavy and compact. Be sure to pack them flat, spine down, to prevent damage.
- CDs, DVDs, and video games: These items are also great for small boxes. Be sure to
pack them tightly so they don’t shift during transport.
- Canned goods and non-perishable food: Small boxes can also be used to pack pantry items like canned goods or boxes of pasta.
- Small kitchen appliances: Items like blenders, mixers, or small food processors can be packed in small boxes.
- Tools: Small boxes are great for packing hand tools like screwdrivers, pliers, or wrenches.
- Toiletries: Small boxes can also be used for packing toiletries like shampoo, conditioner, and body wash.
- Office supplies: Small boxes can be used to pack office supplies such as paper, pens, or staplers.
2) Medium Boxes (18″ x 18″ x 16″): These boxes are good for medium weight items such as kitchenware, small appliances or bedding. They can also be used for fragile items if you use plenty of padding.
- Linens: Medium size boxes are perfect for packing bedding, such as sheets, blankets and comforters.
- Kitchen items: Medium boxes are great for packing kitchen items such as pots and pans, baking dishes and small appliances like toasters and microwaves.
- Small electronics: Items like DVD players, gaming consoles and small speakers can be packed safely in medium boxes.
- Lampshades: Medium boxes can be used to pack lampshades and other fragile items.
- Small home décor: Medium boxes can be used to pack small home décor items such as picture frames, figurines and vases.
- Toys and games: Medium boxes can be used to pack toys and games such as board games and action figures.
- Shoes: Medium boxes can be used to pack shoes but be sure to wrap them in paper to protect them from scuffs and scratches.
3) Large Boxes (18″ x 18″ x 24″): These boxes are good for lightweight and bulky items such as pillows, blankets, lampshades or clothing. Avoid over-packing these boxes as they may become too heavy and difficult to move.
- Bedding: Large boxes are perfect for packing pillows, comforters and other bedding items.
- Clothing: Large boxes can be used to pack clothing such as sweaters, jackets and other bulky items.
- Lamp bases: Large boxes can be used to pack lamp bases and other large, lightweight items.
- Towels: Large boxes can be used to pack towels and other soft bathroom items.
- Sports equipment: Large boxes are great for packing sports equipment such as balls, helmets and pads.
- Large home décor: Large boxes can be used to pack large home décor items such as framed artwork or mirrors.
- Children’s toys: Large boxes can be used to pack large children’s toys such as stuffed animals and playhouses.
4) Wardrobe Boxes: These boxes are designed for hanging clothes. They are typically tall and have a bar across the top to hang clothing. This is a convenient way to pack clothing without having to fold and reorganize them later.
- Hanging clothes: Wardrobe boxes are perfect for packing hanging clothes such as dresses, suits and jackets. Simply hang them on the provided bar in the box so they stay wrinkle-free during transportation.
- Shoes: The bottom of the wardrobe box can be used to pack shoes, keeping them separate from the hanging clothes.
- Purses and accessories: The bottom of the wardrobe box can also be used to pack purses, belts and other accessories that you would typically store in your closet.
- Coats: Wardrobe boxes can be used to pack bulky items such as coats or winter jackets.
- Bedding: If you have extra space in your wardrobe box, you can also use it to pack extra bedding, such as sheets and blankets.
Remember to label each box with its contents and which room it belongs in for easy unpacking. Wardrobe boxes can be reused after your move so be sure to hold onto them for future use or pass them on to someone else who is moving.
Read more: Best Ways to Compare Moving Companies
5) Dish Boxes: These boxes are designed specifically for packing fragile items such as dishes, glasses and other breakables. They have built-in compartments to protect these items during transportation.
- Dishes: Dish boxes are perfect for packing plates, saucers and other dishware. Wrap each item in packing paper or bubble wrap to prevent them from breaking during transport.
- Glasses: Dish boxes can also be used to pack glasses including wine glasses, champagne flutes and tumblers. Wrap each glass individually in packing paper or bubble wrap and place them in the box upright.
- Bowls: Dish boxes can be used to pack bowls of various sizes. Wrap each bowl in packing paper or bubble wrap and place them in the box on their sides.
- Cookware: Dish boxes can be used to pack pots, pans, and other cookware. Wrap each item in packing paper or bubble wrap and place them in the box on their sides.
- Small appliances: Dish boxes can be used to pack small appliances such as blenders, mixers and toasters. Wrap each item in packing paper or bubble wrap and place them in the box on their sides.
Remember to use plenty of packing paper, bubble wrap, or other cushioning materials to protect your fragile items during transport. Label each box with its contents and which room it belongs in for easy unpacking. When packing dish boxes, be sure not to overpack them, as this can make them too heavy to move safely.
If you have any questions about packing up boxes while moving or if you have any moving related questions, please contact with My Moving Cost Team.