Moving day is getting closer and you want to save some money on your moving expenses. That`s why, you will do the packing yourself. But still, you must spend some money to get packing supplies and cardboard boxes are the biggest packing expense. Fortunately, there are ways to avoid spending a lot on moving boxes. My Moving Cost Team gathered some useful information for you about where to find free moving boxes.
- Someone in the neighbourhood who recently moved If you are lucky enough, there might be a new neighbour near your home who wants to get rid of some used moving boxes and packing materials.
- Garage sales
There is a high chance to find boxes at garage sales. If you can find one toward the end of the sale, the chance to find boxes is even higher.
- Kijiji- Craigslist
These two platforms are popular online marketplaces to find stuff you need. People buy and sell so many items here from furniture to vehicles, houses to electronics. If there is no one willing to give away any packing supplies, you can create a post and ask for some.
- Liquor stores
Liquor stores receive huge shipments weekly and as we can imagine, all the bottles are shipped in boxes. So, if you live close by a liquor store, you can just walk in and ask the store manager if you can take some boxes.
Likewise liquor stores, bookstores might have plenty of boxes you can take. These boxes will be heavy duty boxes so you can pack up your heavy items like books in these boxes.
- Coffee shops
Coffee shops receive regular shipments such as coffee, coffee making supplies and so on.
So, this is another option for you to find free moving boxes.
- Save the boxes you receive
We all do online shopping and receive mails. Most of our orders some in cardboard boxes.
So, if you keep the good shaped boxes, you can re-use them for your relocation.
- You can also find free boxes at schools, libraries, colleges, offices…etc.
We also have some recommendations for your box hunting
– Don’t take every box that is given to you. First, check if the boxes are in good shape or not. Because if not, you will have to find a way to get rid of them.
– Let people around you know that you are looking for free moving boxes. If you are having difficulty finding moving boxes, you can let your friends and family if they can help you with this. Also, as we mentioned above, you can advertise your request on some online platforms such as Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and Kijiji.
– Don’t overstuff the boxes. Cardboard boxes can hold about 25-100 pounds depending on the size of the box. So, if you overstuff the box, it might break.
You always have an option to hire professional packers and movers. If you are on a tight budget, you can negotiate the cost of the packing service with the moving company or with the packing material supplier.
Are you moving soon?
If yes, please contact with My Moving Cost Team and find the best professional moving company for your moving needs.